Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

filter if the field value starts with a Letter

parria1
8 - Asteroid

I have an input source with a field AC_NUM that can start with a digit or a letter. Examples are

MF83838

I want to place a filter on this input source so I can have two data streams: one where the field starts with a digit and another where the field starts with a digit.

so far I have a filter tool with the formula regex_match([AC_NUM],"^\D"). this does not work. There are no results in the true and all results are in the false.

what am i doing wrong? when i put ^\D into https://regex101.com/ to test, it highlights the M so I thought this should work. It highlights nothing on the 88584848.

2 REPLIES 2
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Try this:

regex_match([AC_NUM],"^\d.*")

Your D needs to be lowercase (regex_match is case sensitive) and you need a .* afterwards so that it checks the rest of the field.

Alternatively you could use

regex_match(LEFT([AC_NUM],1),"^\d") which would do the same thing but only look at the first character

ivoller
12 - Quasar

regex always plays with my brain too. i tend to go with the long winded but easy for me left([AC_NUM],1)>="0" && left([AC_NUM],1)<="9"

Iain

Labels