Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

extract a sentence that start with certain word

faiqz
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have a list of unstructured data like this dummy data (this is just a sample data. It could has many rows):

Projects /Positions/Skillset

Business Activities:
Digital Marketing, Web Development and HR Development Services for companies in Korea

Placement: Seoul

New Positions:
1. System Development Manager
s/s: - Able to write contents and translate/interpret in both Korean & English, Microsoft Excel

2. Office Manager
skillset: Microsoft word, Microsoft Excel, Japanese

Principal Activities:
Company is the business of providing online service platform for freelancing

New:

1. Senior Software Engineer 
s/s: PHP, MySQL, Linux, Containerised Docker, DevOps, JVMC, Jquery, Bootstrap, React,

2. Senior System Engineer
s/s: DevOps, Oracle, MySQL, python, Linux

my task is to extract a sentence that start with skillset or s/s

for example for this one, it would be:

first row:

s/s: - Able to write contents and translate/interpret in both Korean & English, Microsoft Excel

and

skillset: Microsoft word, Microsoft Excel

second row:

s/s: PHP, MySQL, Linux, Containerised Docker, DevOps, JVMC, Jquery, Bootstrap, React,

s/s: DevOps, Oracle, MySQL, python, Linux

please let me know if you have solution to my problem, thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@faiqz 
maybe we can use the Starwith function?

Capture51.PNG

faiqz
8 - Asteroid

hi,

may i know is it possible if the data source is like the one that i posted? it has many files like that and it would inconvenient if i extract it manually like you did

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @faiqz , In that case if you have multiple files you can use directory tool and extract the data from each file. Here is one of the example workflow with excel files. If you have files of any other format you just have to select one file and configure that and the workflow will automatically pick and process all other files of same format.

Please mark my solution as accepted if it helps and if you need solution to any specific requirement. Let me know.

Thanks!!

Sapna Gupta
Labels