Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

copy paste from another excel file

mihir_mir_jb
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

Can you please guide me on a question that I have on a workflow that I am trying to build. I have a excel based template which has some formulas. Now, in this template(Input file) I want to paste some columns from another excel file. 

I wanted to understand how can I do this. 

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @mihir_mir_jb 

You can configure output tool to output from a range. And you can maintain the format by using preserve formating. Maybe that's what you are looking for.

Can you please provide an example and sample file of what you trying to achieve so that we can help you out.

mihir_mir_jb
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05 thank you for your reply. 

I have attached two files book1 and book2. Book1 is the template file which I want to keep as Input file where column A to G are formlua driven cells which will be poulated basis the data that I paste in columns H through W from Book 2. 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @mihir_mir_jb 

You can configure output tool like below to write columns from H1

atcodedog05_0-1625558744901.png

Here I am mentioning range H1 to large end. And other columns with formula should work as it is.

Hope this helps 🙂

mihir_mir_jb
8 - Asteroid

When I input the tempalte file at that time also I get this option of 'Select Excel Input, there as well do I need to select only that particular tab as the template file also has various tabs 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @mihir_mir_jb 

Yes thats right select the sheet in which you want to overwrite and add these columns should work.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

@mihir_mir_jb wrote:

@atcodedog05 thank you for your reply. 

I have attached two files book1 and book2. Book1 is the template file which I want to keep as Input file where column A to G are formlua driven cells which will be poulated basis the data that I paste in columns H through W from Book 2. 

Hi @mihir_mir_jb 

Here is an example. Book2 as new data and Book1 is the template file.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1625560975636.png

1. I am reading input data from Book2.

2. I am writing data to Book1 (template file) from column H1. The range needs to be set in Ouput tool writing to Book1. Output option should be set as overwrite sheet.

If you follow the above config it should work.

Hope this helps 🙂

Labels