Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

XLSX Input error: Internal error in Xerces parser: Expected entity name for reference

LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

I'm using an input tool to get an excel file into my workflow and received this error:

"Internal error in Xerces parser: Expected entity name for reference"

This workflow has been created and used for a while and this is my first time seeing this error.

Does anyone know what this means? The preview still shows up normally.

5 REPLIES 5
vizAlter
12 - Quasar

Hi @LinhNguyen — Looks some characters could not be read by the Input tool...

You may want to read this similar post:  Internal error in Xerces parser: Invalid character (Unicode: 0x1A) 

Suggest you to attach a sample file to review that.

Please mark it "Solved" or "Solved" with a Like if it resolved your query. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

I copied all the data to another excel sheet and renamed it to be the same as the original sheet, then the workflow worked correctly with no error again.

Still have no idea why this happened but this helped.

tim-regas
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I was having a similar issue and discovered that if you have a filter set in the Excel sheet, and that filter has a selection with a restricted XML character ( & < > " '), you can run into the Xerces parser error. My solution was to clear the filters from the source data and I was able to resolve the error. Hopefully this helps!

FreeRangeDingo
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

When you say "have a filter set"....do you mean a specific range of cells or a named range?

tim-regas
7 - Meteor

By filter set, I mean within the Excel file filters from the data tab are set. Within these filters a special character is selected. In the picture below, if you try to add a row of data to columns a and b, you will end up with the error.

timregas_0-1657558401381.png

Labels