Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Write output to excel macro having excel dropdown list issue

prashant_bhavsar
6 - Meteoroid

Requirement- Write output of a big Alteryx workflow process to a excel macro template that has say 4 attributes 2 having preconfigured drop downs and 2 others are having formulas based on other columns.

Ultimately user will pick values from drop  down and formula will be executed based on selected value and other columns data.

Why have to write to excel macro - not finding Alteryx option that can o/p prefilled dropdown.

Tried-  create a template with required #of columns and order and placed 4 attributes of my interest in middle as per requirement and dragged formatting of these to around 65K rows as I'm expecting max no. of records from the workflow.  Wrote o/p of file to a macro template  into separate sheet and have made pointers made (for example =Sheet2$A2 to Sheet1$A2) and rest.

Works but very slow, and the notorious issue with this macro get corrupted and this issue is listed by many other users too.

Tried with blank template by pushing those 4 columns to extreme right any write by using option overwrite and by cell  range.. but same corruption issue and requirement is 

Any suggestion, workaround on how to concatenate  2 sheets retaining dropdown and formulas etc. 

2 REPLIES 2
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Does your company have Alteryx Server? You could leverage the interface tools in Alteryx Designer to turn your workflow into an analytic app that takes user input. There is a drop down interface tool that you can pre populate with options/formulas that can update the configuration of tools within the workflow to perform calculations based on what someone selects. 

prashant_bhavsar
6 - Meteoroid

We don't have Server option. My usecase is to write a excel file having 2 prepopulated drowdowns say User Action (Approve, Reject, Not Applicable), user enter filed(Rate in say column L) and pre-poulate formula fields like if user_action='Approve' then =(A2 * L2)/H2. 

This excel then I would like to break by individual manager so each subordinate to the manager select drop down and enter Rate and formula field triggers to perform calculation.

I hope there is any way in Alteryx to get this since writing to template is not helping.

Labels