Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Write In-DB (Hive) taking to much time

JRamos
7 - Meteor

Hi all!

I'm writing data from excel or alteryx database to Hive, some months ago was taking 6-10 hrs to write 3 millions of data, but now it's taking to much time and in 23 hours just write the 15%, my disk memory is available and I have optimized my workflow because I just need the data in Hive, also I need to use a VPN and Kerberos to do it, it's the work computer.

Could you guide me what am I doing wrong or what can I do to improve the time?

Workflow:

JRamos_0-1677165137478.png

Hive ODBC Driver Advanced Options:

JRamos_1-1677165205202.png

Manage In-DB Connections:

JRamos_2-1677165352845.png

Thanks in advance!!!

4 REPLIES 4
simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello @JRamos 

Usually i have two in db connections for Hive :
1/ with odbc for classic use (when data comes from in-db)
2/ the other one writing on HDFS instead of ODBC (when data comes from "in-memory" like an excel import. this is the solution you must use here. Time can be reduce by 5,10,20...

Best regards,

Simon

JRamos
7 - Meteor

Hi @simonaubert_bd,

Writing on HDFS like the next one? It is correct to use the same connection string as the read ODBC ONE?

JRamos_0-1677167032907.png

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

@JRamos About the hdfs : 

-no, it's not the same string at all. this is more like 

simonaubert_bd_0-1677167552260.png

Please contact your datalake admin for the exact path/configuration.

However, Alteryx must propose a windows like that when you choose HDFS Parquet and click on the black arrow

image.png

-use parquet, not avro

-use two indb alias like HIVE_PROD_ODBC and HIVE_PROD_HDFS since Alteryx does not distinguish creating a table and inserting data from in-memory. cf idea https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/In-DB-Connexion-windows-should-be-divided-in...

JRamos
7 - Meteor

Thank you @simonaubert_bd , I have changed the write driver with the exact path related to HDFS and now it's working!

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels