Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Why use a batch macro

leonhekkert
8 - Asteroid

What are reasons to use a batch macro? 

I understand the use case of a batch macro when getting multiple files into a flow that have different formats.

This would be difficult to achieve with a batch macro.

What are other use cases of a batch macro that cannot be achieved with a normal join tool as well?

Or are there reasons why a batch tool could be better in such situations?

10 REPLIES 10
RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @leonhekkert 

TLPR - too long, please read - focus pages 23-30

I hope you find the attachments helpful.

Check out the new Inspire documents when they become available...

leonhekkert
8 - Asteroid

Hello @RobertOdera,

Thank you for sharing.

This example with state taxes can easily be done with a join if I'm not mistaken. So whats the added value of a batch macro here?

What are situations you absolutely need a batch macro or when a batch macro has an advantage over a normal macro ( with joins or group by's)

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Sure thing, @leonhekkert 

Looking at my notes, here is an explanation that should surface the nuance for you The Data School - The difference between standard, batch, and iterative macros

Your decision to use one versus another will be based primarily on the need for efficiency-scale, repetitive dynamic treatments, singular versus grouped treatments, and workflow optics (decluttering your canvas of all the stand-alone tools you're using). Cheers!

RobertOdera_0-1683803662069.png

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

As a specific use case, the first batch macro I set up was when I was calculating correlation on my data using the Pearson Correlation tool.  I wanted a separate calculation for each group in the data but the tool doesn't allow any grouping, it just calculates a single value for the whole data set.  So I used a batch macro to feed it each group in turn for the calculations.

gregx
8 - Asteroid

@leonhekkert As an user with 4 years of experience with Alteryx I can say: I've never had to use Batch macros. Everything what they do you can achieve in a normal workflow. 

apathetichell
19 - Altair

@gregx - what kind of workflows do you build? I'm curious because it's exceptionally rare for me to build a workflow which does not use a batch macro.

gregx
8 - Asteroid

@apathetichell what kind of workflows we have? XD but seriously, in most cases you just apply filtering or if-formulas and that's it, no need to overcomplicate workflow - clearer to read, easier to debug, faster to create. I can deflect the question: can you show any (real) example when it must be done via batch macro and can't be done in standard workflow?

Machtelinck
5 - Atom

API usecase . If you don't use iterative or batch your API request  better not receive any fails . And this is a macro , mostly difficult at first but once done can be used again for other task . Also on some download usecase it can be useful . I might be missing some case or ways to avoid that though

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Any workflow requiring dynamic interaction with a tool/value/field/file/location will use a batch macro - or should - use a batch macro.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels