Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Whats the best way to replace a group of text in a column with blanks?

zenSMP
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

As per title, whats the best way to replace a group of text in column with blank.

Example in the attached excel and photo below I would like to replace 3M/Nokia/Cisco in input with Blank and have it shown as output.

I understand formula, regex and find a replace may work but am wondering how would you guys write it.

Example the below may work but is it graceful or scalable.

TRIM(
REPLACE(

REPLACE(
REPLACE([Input],'3M','')

,'Nokia','')

,'Cisco',''))

Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 11.33.00 PM.png

11 REPLIES 11
ShankerV
17 - Castor

@zenSMP 

Find and Replace is the best upto me where you can add many criteria for find and replace in alteryx easily.

Many thanks

Shanker V

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @zenSMP 

If the words that you want to remove are always the first words of each row, i would use this function (UPDATED*): 

replace([input], Getword([input], 0) + ' ', '')

Input:

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1669134149290.png

Output:

Felipe_Ribeir0_1-1669134168483.png

If they are not and you need to remove specific words, i would use the find replace tool.

ShankerV
17 - Castor

@Felipe_Ribeir0 

When I used the Getword, it  is fetching only one word.

Am I missing anything.

ShankerV_0-1669132323236.png

Input:

ShankerV_1-1669132342512.png

Many thanks

Shanker V

zenSMP
7 - Meteor

Yes, I do understand this is one of the simplest was wondering if there are other methods.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @ShankerV 

You are right, try this one. The first one that i posted only worked on my machine because my example had only 2 words kkkk:

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1669132581312.png

ShankerV
17 - Castor

@zenSMP 

I am mentioning about the find and replace tool, not the formula you have written for replace.

ShankerV_0-1669132632037.png

Many thanks

Shanker V

zenSMP
7 - Meteor

Thank you @Felipe_Ribeir0 @ShankerV . Would regex replace work here? why not use that?

zenSMP
7 - Meteor

@ShankerVThank you very much. Yes, I'm aware of the tool find and replace :D

ShankerV
17 - Castor

@zenSMP 

This Find and Replace tool is easy too use and you can use it for simple and complex situations too.

ShankerV_0-1669132764091.png

https://help.alteryx.com/20221/designer/find-replace-tool

Many thanks

Shanker V

Labels