Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Vlookup on multiple columns

Speranta
5 - Atom

Dear all, hope you can help with the following situation: 

I have one table (Input table 1) with multiple columns and I need to add for each column other 2 columns( Name and Manager) from Input table 2. Normally in excel I use VLOOKUP for each column.

Is there any way that I can do this in Alteryx even if I need to use multiple connections? 

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Speranta 

If you coming to Alteryx from Excel there is a handy guide here - https://www.alteryx.com/resources/product-guides/alteryx-excel

You'd be able to do this in a complex way, but, to keep it simple it can be acheived using multiple Join tools, joining Input 2 against each RO column one at a time:

DavidSkaife_0-1675245633562.png

Note: Alteryx will not let you have multiple columns named the same, so i've called them Name, Nam2, Name3 etc

Workflow attached for you to have a look at!

JamesCharnley
13 - Pulsar

@Speranta this had me thinking more than I expected for a solution without just joining (Although saying that, joining is good too)

JamesCharnley_0-1675245798210.png

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

You can do this with multiple joins, however Alteryx also gives you other options.  Here's a more dynamic option using Transpose, which should scale to more RO columns.

Christina_H_0-1675246721958.png

Speranta
5 - Atom

Thank you all, very useful.

Labels