Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Union to Create New Column with Standard Value

Roisinmm
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

I feel as though this should be really simple but I'm struggling so hopefully someone can help!

I have two threads in my workflow - one is preparing a data set from one input file (let's call this thread A) and one is calculating a total from another input file (let's call this thread B).

I wish to add a column at the end of A which equals the total calculated in B for every row in A.

I have tried using the Union Tool and this creates the extra column in A but does not pull through the value from B, rather it pulls through 'Null'.

If this was a fixed value I could use the Formula Tool to create a new column, but unfortunately it needs to be repeatable based on the data in thread B.

Hopefully this makes sense!

1 REPLY 1
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Roisinmm,

If you have a column to add to thread A, here are your options:

1. JOIN on key values  (deselect duplicate fields)
  2. JOIN on record position (the order is very important as the records are joined FIFO)
  3. APPEND Fields will add a single value to all records

With your final requirement statement, I feel that a JOIN is called for.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Labels