Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Update value with formula action not working

jhustin
7 - Meteor

I am trying to pull files from a directory where the filepath will change each day. The current date will be in the filepath so I am trying to use an Update value with formula action so I can dynamically have this pull each day. The directory does not change based on what is in the action, however. It just runs for what is in the directory tool and ignores the action attached to it.

13 REPLIES 13
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

your action tool is not configured properly - you have to select the part of the connected tool you are trying to change. if you include a screen grab of your action tool - someone can help out.

jhustin
7 - Meteor

jhustin_0-1649346333068.png

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @jhustin 

Include the formula line in your screen shot

danilang_0-1649347823659.png

Dan

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

do you have a folder-browse tool attached to your action tool? it should go folder browse-action-directory.

jhustin
7 - Meteor

"C:\Reports\"+tostring(DateTimeFormat(DateTimeToday(),"%d-%m-%Y"))+"\POSD039 - Customer - Monthly Shipment Data"

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@jhustin- action tool needs a trigger. You aren't supplying a trigger. Your formula could work - but your action tool won't be triggered without something (ie folder browse/text-box/date tool) etc to trigger it.

the easiest way to do what you want might be to set up your dynamic directory listing in a formula tool and feed that into a macro - and have that update the directory tool via control parameter-action tool -directory tool in your macro. You wouldn't need the formula in your action tool there and could do error checking.

jhustin
7 - Meteor

I added a folder browse input to update value but same results

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

so it's not feeding to

C:\Reports\07-04-2022\POSD039 - Customer - Monthly Shipment Data

are you running as an app? try debug.

jhustin
7 - Meteor

update - if I add text box or folder browse as an input and run as an analytic app it works after I put some dummy data in that I don't use. It does not work if I just run the workflow. Is there a way to use the directory tool with a dynamic folder name without having manual input from a user?

Labels