Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Update constant in SQL query without app

kat
12 - Quasar

I am using the input tool to get data from a SQL database. In the input tool I do some basic filters, to limit the data returned and speed things up. One of the filters is the current month. Normally I then turn this into an app, to dynamically update the data across the different tools. I don't want to use an app in this case, as the user needs to follow along what is happening and has to be able to make changes.

Is there a way to make the date within the query dynamic, without doing an app?

4 REPLIES 4
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @kat

How dynamic does the date need to be?

Does it just need to filter on the current month?

You could write your SQL statement to include the following:

AND

DATEDIFF(month, [Your Date Column], GETDATE()) = 0

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

kat
12 - Quasar

Thanks @LordNeilLord, that would work for most cases. This workflow however is run towards then end of and at the beginning of the next month.

I'm thinking I could just add my data sources into 2 containers, one using your formula and one having a datediff of 1. Then instead of having to edit the SQL script one would just have to disable one of the containers. Or do you have a better idea?

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @kat

In that case I would go for datediff <=1  and have 2 months data in the workflow, which can then be changed?

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

kat
12 - Quasar

Yes good idea, that shouldn't be too much data to have a negative impact on performance.

Thank you for the help @LordNeilLord!

Labels