Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Union tool creating blank rows when merging datasets

dberroth
8 - Asteroid

Hello all, I'm using the union tool to bring together many tools, for some reason tho when I do this, it's creating many blank rows, I need the bottom 5 rows to be moved up and be in the same rows as the top 5 rows/ 3 columns. 

As background, I'm using the summarize tool which is generating the bottom 5 rows (which I want moved up). Any ideas?

dberroth_1-1600786069554.png

5 REPLIES 5
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @dberroth,

Try using join by record position instead.

Emil_Kos_0-1600786292524.png

Let me know if it worked for you. 

wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @dberroth 

When you are using the Summarize to create the bottom 5 rows, does it contain a unique ID which could be used to join the data to the top 5 rows/3 columns.

It may be the case that using either a Join or Append, may be more applicable to combine your 2 data streams together.

Kind Regards,

Will

Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

Hi @dberroth,

Try using the 'Manually Configure Fields' option in the Union tool to align your fields:

922.1.PNG 

Goppi
7 - Meteor

assuming that the values in Totals correspond to the values in Group Risk Report, you should rather use a join on thise two fields. This will give you then exactly what you asked for.

dberroth
8 - Asteroid

Thanks all for the comments, I should have been more clear, I have 5 strings coming in with totals merging into the original input. I think I finally was able to get it by merging the 5 strings together using a union, then using the join tool with the union output and the original source file. Thank you all again for your comments.

Labels