Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Trigger Workflow

macastro
5 - Atom

Hello everyone, i'd appreciate any guidance on the following:

Suppose you have 2 batch macros (both with directory inputs). Let's call them batch Macro A and batch Macro B. Both macros output to two separate locations and operate on separate directories for two separate clients. Now, lets suppose that we would like the final csv output for Batch Macro B to include a subset of data from Batch Macro A. What is the most efficient way to do this?

I would suspect that running Batch Macro A (after adding an output tool) in Batch Macro B and filtering the output would be a possible solution. However, I suspect this would be inefficient since both directories hold many files (i.e. running Batch Macro B would also then require running all of Batch Macro A).

Additional considerations:

Run order matters -  Batch Macro A runs then Batch Macro B runs

Scalability -  this is likely to be something that ideally would be nice to scale to N many batch Macros

Why I think chaining the app wouldnt work - Currently, the set of N alteryx batch macros (technically an analytic app) are run from a python script using the subprocess module to map the analytic app inputs to a file where the inputs can be read. Not cure how this could be implemented with a chained app

0 REPLIES 0
Labels