Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Transform multiple files in directory then combine them

mrmmickle1
6 - Meteoroid

Hey there, I'm a brand new Alteryx user but have some experience with Power Query.  I've been unable to solve this issue in Power Query and was hoping that Alteryx will solve my dilemma.  Hoping the below description will be enough to understand my issue.  The data I have is structured exactly as below.  Rather than foods and lunchboxes it's an accounting taxonomy.... which I'm unable to display.

Scenario:

I have a situation where I have data that has a few descriptors above the data table that I would like to keep (I cannot control the format of the files, so it is not an option for me to change the format). In this example I am using only two files but there will be 50 - 60 files in the folder. They will all have the same format as the two in the image. I am trying to combine the data so that it can be aggregated. I have a before and after below as an example. I believe the trick is that I need to complete X number of steps with a file before actually combining the files. I'm not quite sure to accomplish this task. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to review my inquiry.

i.e. In my mind these are the steps:

1. Complete x cleaning process for file 1
2. Complete x cleaning process for file 2
2. Complete x cleaning process for file..... etc until end of directory
4. Combine these now individual transformed files....

Here is the before and after image for reference:

Data Combination with Additional Description Info.jpg

11 REPLIES 11
mrmmickle1
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for sending me the link regarding the video.  It was helpful.  Appreciate the support.

mrmmickle1
6 - Meteoroid

Hey Qiu-

I'm going to try to review your solution today as well.  Just trying to learn how the software works...etc.  So thank you for being patient.  Being a long time contributor on other internet forums I know a lot of time and effort goes into the responses.  So I just want to say that I appreciate you.  Thanks so much!  I'll get back to you regarding any questions with the solution.

Labels