Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

To process a workflow for a given list of customer names individually

poornimak
7 - Meteor

I have a workflow with some data processing. I want the workflow to run for each customer from a list of customers in an excel file and generate output file for each customer.

Example:

Customer List:

Customer nameUnique ID
Customer A123
Customer B234
Customer C345

I have a workflow a.yxmd

Expected output:

a.yxmd should run for each customer - Customer A, Customer B, Customer C and generate separate excel output with Customer name as the output file name. Please note that my workflow a.yxmd also contains customer data. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA!!

11 REPLIES 11
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@poornimak 
Try to search Batch Macro 😁

poornimak
7 - Meteor

Can you please share a workflow that suits my scenario?

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You can use a Formula tool to write the output path of your Excel file + the Customer identifier. For example: 

“C:\Users\YourUsername\Desktop\FolderHere\TestOutput.xlsx|||” + [Customer Name]

From there, attach an Output tool and configure on the left. On the bottom left, choose change entire file path and select the Output path you created with the formula tool earlier. Be sure to untick the keep in output button. 

Then, be sure to also select the output method to create new sheet for your first run. Subsequent runs you can change it to overwrite existing file. That should do the trick for you.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
poornimak
7 - Meteor

Above solution is feasible for generating my output file for each customer. 

However, I want the workflow to pick one ID at a time from a list and run.

For example:

Customer List(This list is in Excel):

Customer nameUnique ID
Customer A123
Customer B234
Customer C345

From the above list, I need to pass Customer A and run my workflow a.yxmd and generate output for that customer only. This needs to iterate for all the customers in the customer list.

Customer A --> run a.yxmd --> generate output for Customer A

Customer B --> run a.yxmd --> generate output for Customer B

Please note that my workflow a.yxmd also contains customer data which needs to be mapped with external customer list that is mention in the above table.

Let me know if any information in required. It would be helpful if you share a workflow example/template that works for my requirement.

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@poornimak 
It will much better you can provide a set of sample input and output so we can be more clear also.

poornimak
7 - Meteor

@Qiu :

Please see below example:

If I run my workflow with all the customer list I get 

Customer NameIDLoan Type A_AccountNo1Loan Type B_AccountNo3Loan Type A_AccountNo2Loan Type A_AccountNo4
Customer A1231234567(Amount)   
Customer B234 4567890(Amount)234567.2345(Amount)

7689790(Amount)

instead, I want output to be exported to excel for each Customer.

Sample output 1:

Customer NameIDLoan Type A_AccountNo1

Sample output 2:

Customer NameIDLoan Type B_AccountNo3Loan Type A_AccountNo2Loan Type A_AccountNo4
Customer B2344567890(Amount)234567.2345(Amount)7689790(Amount)
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@poornimak 
So my understanding is that you also remove the null columns when exporting the data for each customer.

We can use a batch macro and use a Cleansing tool to remove the null columns.

A quick sample is as below.

1027-poornimak-A.PNG1027-poornimak-B.PNG

poornimak
7 - Meteor

@Qiu Thank you! This worked for me.

I have another requirement under the same data. I have a template to attain.  'Loan Type A_AccountNo1', Loan Type A_AccountNo2' ...

are dynamic columns. If my customer has any account under type 'Loan Type A' or 'Loan Type B' corresponding amount appearing under it.

Now, if my customer doesn't have any account under type 'Loan Type A' or 'Loan Type B', I want an empty column. Please see below example.

Sample Data:

Customer NameIDLoan Type A_AccountNo1Loan Type B_AccountNo3Loan Type A_AccountNo2Loan Type A_AccountNo4
Customer B234 4567890(Amount)234567.2345(Amount)7689790(Amount)

Output1:

Customer NameIDLoan Type A_AccountNo1Loan Type B

Output2:

Customer NameIDLoan Type B_AccountNo3Loan Type A_AccountNo2Loan Type A_AccountNo4
Customer B2344567890(Amount)234567.2345(Amount)7689790(Amount)
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@poornimak 
I assume you want all the Load Type to be present even some of them are having no value.

It turned out that I have to go through a lot step, reason 1 is to match the missing load type with a pre-defined list.

Reason 2 is that Space in your field name will be changed to "_" with Cross Tab tool, so I have to make some special treatment.
I hope this will work for you.

1027-poornimak-r1.PNG1027-poornimak-r1A.PNG

Labels