Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Throw Error if the Header Changes from It was initially there in the Input File

DataPirate26
10 - Fireball

Hello, 

I have an Input File which has more than 18 tabs and multiple fields. Not all fields are required Hence I have Created a Super Template which has all the fields required in the output. Now if any of the Field name changes in any one of the tabs it shall be able to detect the tab name and which field name has changed. 

Is it possible to create a workflow which will detect such scenarios. 

3 REPLIES 3
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@DataPirate26 In the Template file, do you have the fields and corresponding Tab names as well?

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @DataPirate26 

The basic idea is this 

danilang_0-1685985631368.png

Use a Field Info tool to get the field names from your data file.  Join this to your master file.  Any rows on the R output represent columns that are missing/renamed in your data file.  Use a Message tool to throw an error if there are any rows and configure your workflow to halt on error. 

In practice you'll have to repeat the process for all of your inputs, but it is a one time setup.

Dan 

DataPirate26
10 - Fireball

@binuacs Hi. All the Required fields are there in the Template. But the tab names are not there. In the Super Template all required fields are there which I have used in the Macro to read all the tabs data and only the required fields comes out. But whenever a field name in any of the tab gets changed it Gives null data for that field. I need to stop the workflow and make the user understand where is the error. 

Labels