Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Tableau Output Tool

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

Help.

I have enjoyed using the Tableau Output Tool to export my .hyper files to my Tableau Online account.  

Tableau Online now requires 2FA.   How do you use the Tableau Output Tool with 2FA?   ...I have Tableau Online

This is killing my productivity.  With the ability to output directly to Online now effectively DOA, I have to close Tableau locally every time I run Alteryx (to output a correction to the .hyper file).

6 REPLIES 6
hellyars
13 - Pulsar

I can't be the only one trying to access Tableau Online using the Tableau Output Tool and running into issues.

jcox
6 - Meteoroid

Were you able to find a solution?

If I use the token/passcode option I can get far enough to see the Tableau project folder and data source that I want to overwrite. Have you tried that? 

The problem I'm having is I can do all of that, but then even after selecting "Overwrite" in the Options menu of the Tableau Output tool, it creates a duplicate instead of actually overwriting it.

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@jcox 

Yes.  I created a token on the Tableau side that I add to the Alteryx Tableau Output tool.  After that, everything works normally for me.  Just remember that the Tableau token may expire (depending on how you set it up).

jcox
6 - Meteoroid

@hellyars Thank you! I also was using a token/passcode but it still didn't want to overwrite a an existing hyper file created by another user. 

For now, I'm using the (deprecated) Publish to Tableau Server (PAT version). This one also has the option to use a token to bypass MFA, but will allow me to overwrite the data source. 

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

The time code does expire if you have not used it in 14 days.  From what I can tell, every use resets the clock. 

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Have you reached out to Alteryx Support? Perhaps they are in a better position to help you out. I am keen to follow this as well, but I mainly write back to a DB for Tableau related extractions... never really went direct before.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Labels