Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

TXT File filter

Hi2023
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have a TXT file that I need to extract certain columns only that have a W. I was doing a sample then parse to filter it isnt working correctly. 

Any suggestions on best way to do this

thanks

The TXT file has about 25 lines but I only need lines 20-24 that contain W  in the front

9 REPLIES 9
ChrisTX
16 - Nebula

Try a Filter tool with a formula like this         StartsWith([my field],"W")

or you may need a RegEx tool.

Posting sample data would help.

Chris

Hi2023
8 - Asteroid

ok, 

so I actually need a lil more then those lines. I need name, acct,  & Y address of that section ONLY IF it has a Y in front of address. I can provide a brief overview of what it looks like:

DATE                                  Title

AREA                               location

ACCT# 123456

name 1

name 2

Y  address1

adress 2

Y City -State

Y Zip 

Cell 

Phone

DATE                                  Title

AREA                               location

ACCT# 123456

name 1

name 2

Y  address1

address 2

Y City -State

Y Zip 

Cell 

Phone

thanks

Hi2023
8 - Asteroid

the output should be

name 

acct#

Y address

------in an excel file

thanks

ChrisTX
16 - Nebula

What have you tried so far?

You'll need one or more Filter tools, and likely a Multi-Row Formula tool to link each "record" since a record spans multiple rows.

Hi2023
8 - Asteroid

I have tried to do a sample then a parse, filter but it didnt work.

I think I need to first format it correctly, then filter but trying to see what the best way to do it

ChrisTX
16 - Nebula

These first few steps may help:

Use a Formula tool to create a new field like "New Record".  Set the value to "x" or 1 or True (boolean) if the string StartsWith ACCT.

Then use a Multi-Row Formula tool to create a new field like "Record Number".  If the field "New Record" value is x, then increment the "Record Number", else copy the number from the prior row.

Then use a CrossTab tool to convert rows to columns, based on the Record Number field.

Chris

Rafael_Caixeta
7 - Meteor

Hey @Hi2023, if I understand what you want, in this simple workflow that is attached here you could execute your task. Please, take a look at it, and if works, don't forget to return here and give us feedback.

Hi2023
8 - Asteroid

What if I need to output Name 1 as well?

Rafael_Caixeta
7 - Meteor

You could insert a line with: OR Contains([Field1], "name 1") after the "Contains([Field1], "Y Zip")" in the filter tool and then modify the nearest formula tool by adding new lines on the if clause and get the result. I attached the updated workflow here for your better understanding.

Labels