Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Survey Data - change from rows to columns

dbhamber
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, I have been trying to use transpose, cross tab, select data. Just cannot get my head around it

I have got Survey data that is in Rows I need to turn the column Question into Headers, there are 10 question and these will be repeated for each person.  I can remove columns Question Type and Number. 

Any help will be appreciated, just trying to get to grips with Alteryx.

Thanks

Disham

Question Type NumberLearner Answer TextQuestion%Answer
Multiple Choice (Single Answer)1Strongly agreeLogin Process75%It was easy to log on and access the Virtual Classroom session...
Multiple Choice (Single Answer)2Strongly agreeCourse Experience75%I could hear clearly throughout the session...
Multiple Choice (Single Answer)3Strongly agreeCourse Experience75%I could clearly view all visuals and media throughout the session...
Multiple Choice (Single Answer)4Strongly agreeCourse Content75%The information shared in the session was relevant and useful...
Multiple Choice (Single Answer)5Strongly agreeCourse Content75%The questions posed were relevant and helped to focus my attention...
Multiple Choice (Single Answer)6Strongly agreeThe Trainer75%The trainer was knowledgeable...
Multiple Choice (Single Answer)7Strongly agreeThe Trainer75%The trainer was engaging...
Free Text/Comments8socail media is the way forwardOverall75%What key learning shared in this session will help you in your role?
Free Text/Comments9noOverall75%What would your suggestions be for improving the session?
Multiple Choice (Single Answer)1010 - Very LikelyOverall75%How likely are you to recommend others to attend this course?
6 REPLIES 6
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @dbhamber ,

I'm not sure of your requirements, can you please provide a mock up of what you are trying to show from that data?

M.

Bulien

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @dbhamber 

Can you provide sample data and expected output.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @mceleavey 

I agree with @mceleavey, it sounds like the cross-tab tool should get you what you need. I'm just not clear what data you want in each of these new columns.

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/cross-tab-tool

dbhamber
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

Its Friday. Let me explain the data in column Questions needs to be the heading:

The survey answers will fall in line with the questions, I hope that makes sense. See attached.

Thanks again

Disham

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Is this what you want?

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @dbhamber 

Here is how you can arrive to the excepted output from the given data.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1622212431283.png

1. I am taking each required columns separately and converting them to column with number as header

2. Later i unioning the rows in order

3. While outputting i am configuring skip field names this way the header which is numbers wont be outputted.

Output:

atcodedog05_1-1622212718397.png

Hope this helps 🙂

Labels