Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Splitting a big excel into multiple files based on sheet names.

Alteryxexpert
8 - Asteroid

I have an excel file which has 40 sheet, 10 sheets for sales, 10 sheets for revenue , 10 sheets for Profit 10 other sheets.

the sheets are named as sales1,sales2,sales3.... revenue1,revenue2,revenue3... and profit1,profit2,profit 3... with lots of excel formatting.

I want to split this big excel file and separate all the sales sheet into a separate file which should be named as sales20240723.xlsx ( filename= sales + Workflow rundate) like the same i need separate all the revenue & profit sheets into two other excel named profit20240723.xlsx & revenue20240723.xlsx respectively. Is this doable in alteryx.

Important note : at any cost the source formatting needs to be carried to the files that are getting split.

Experts help me out in this.

3 REPLIES 3
apathetichell
19 - Altair

You cannot do this natively in Alteryx.

Try my python based sheet copier macro?

https://github.com/apathetichell/2024_AlteryxMacros

Alteryxexpert
8 - Asteroid

Will this work if all the sheets have different formats? which code i need to use precisely to achieve the above requirement?

apathetichell
19 - Altair

My python code is there. you would need t omake a slight modification.

1) this takes in a full path, original sheet name, new sheet name.

2) you would need to include fullpath2 (new file).

3) you would follow how I create a unique DF - and create a final unique df for fullpath2

4) you would create new active.spreadsheets for each file in fullpath2

5) instead of copying the sheet to the original file - you'd copy it to fullpath2.

6) you'd point the extra sheet test logic with the remove to the new file.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels