Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Splitting Field Help

Anweinbe
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I have a file that shows me sales by customers. However, the products they bought are all listed in a single field, which isn't very helpful. I attached a sample of my data in excel. 

In short, if you look at column G, each of the first few orders have one product. the last row has 2. What I would love is to have this broken out so I can run product quantity analytics. Ideally This record would be broken into 2 lines. The first product on one line and the next product underneath. I'm ok if all the other fields have duplicative information. 

Thanks so much in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

Hi @Anweinbe 

The attached workflow parses your column G product(s) twice:

• the first time uses the Text to Columns tool to parse the Product(s) column using comma between products, and split the columns in rows.
  • the second time uses the Text to Columns tools parsing the Product(s) column on the × character (note, it looks like an x by it is not), spliting the column in two columns.
  • It rename the column Product-1 to Quantity and Product-2 to Product using a select tool.

hth

Arnaldo

Anweinbe
7 - Meteor

Arnold thank you so much! The output is perfect. I just reviewed the workflow to follow along. Very straightforward! I never new I could "split to rows". 

ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

@Anweinbe indeed, the Text to Column tool is great

Labels