Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Skip first N columns

Shaaz
9 - Comet

Hi Team,

How can we skip first N columns in Alteryx like how we have Skip N rows in Sample tool.

In my case,

1. I've data with 10 fields in a File A where actual data starts from 4th column which means first 3 columns are junk. So, I've pull data from column 4.

2. File B has 15 fields and actual data starts from column 8 which means first 7 columns are junk.

So, how can we achieve this, and this has to be dynamic since I've several files and each file has different structure.

7 REPLIES 7
binuacs
21 - Polaris

@Shaaz Do you have any specific column names for your files and are they in order?

Shaaz
9 - Comet

@binuacs No, they are no specific column names. Column can be anything in each of the file. In our case, for example client would say don't consider 1st 4 fields in File A and don't consider first 7 columns in File B and so on.

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@Shaaz 
We can provide a Txt input with the number for First "N" columns and use Generate Row tools to generate the number 1, 2, 3,,,N.

In your data stream, we can do a Transpose then use Tile tool to assign sequential number for the columns.

Then take the Left Anchor data from a Join tool then Cross Tab.

1204-Shaaz.png1204-Shaaz-B.png

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@Qiu you will like this solution:

before:

before.png

After

after.png

We can make use of:

after_after.png

All the best,
BS

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@BS_THE_ANALYST 
OMG. Thank you very much. 😍
I did not know this feature. 

binuacs
21 - Polaris

@Shaaz IF you know which columns have to select from each file use the Dynamic Select tool for each files as @BS_THE_ANALYST mentioned above

Shaaz
9 - Comet

Excellent. This worked for my requirement.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels