Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Separate data into 3 columns

ArijitRoy
8 - Asteroid

Hello Friends,

I need your help. I have attached a sheet. I want 1st column data divided into 3 columns. First 4 into Add1 next 7 digits into Add2 and rest at the end Add3.

B8LC0252044KW2 = Add1 (B8LC) then Add2 (0252044) then rest in Add3 (KW2). Add3 is not fixed with length 3. It can be 3 or 4 or 5.

In some rows you will find data starts with 7 digits, then it should go to Add2. Ex. 0253171

In some rows first 4 and then 7 digits are there but not the last data. Then first 4 digits move to Add1 and 7 digits into Add2 and Add3 will be blank.

18 REPLIES 18
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@ArijitRoy Oneway of doing this

binuacs_0-1673359000074.png

ArijitRoy
8 - Asteroid

Please read my query properly. Row 3 and 13 is incorrect.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@ArijitRoy updated the workfow

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@ArijitRoy How you are deriving Addr1 for the below highlighted rows

binuacs_0-1673359268217.png

ArijitRoy
8 - Asteroid

Sorry, I forgot to remove those. Can you please describe in detail, how you have used the first formula (Address).

It worked. Thank you very much 😊

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@ArijitRoy The Address formula checks for the length and if it is less than 14 and the first letter of the address starts with a capital letter then just append some space at the end of the address, if the length is less than 14 and the first letter of the address starts with a digit (which means the first 4 letters are missing) then add 4 spaces in the beginning of the Address field. Once the address field is updated then the parsing is easy

Hi @ArijitRoy,

Please see attached. I built in some logic to determine the solution. Please mark this as the solution if this works for you.

ArijitRoy
8 - Asteroid

Hi @MichelleMitchellLutz ,

First letter will not be B every time. So, the formula you have applied will not work.

ArijitRoy
8 - Asteroid

Hi @binuacs,

I have a question, if I have the the data like B1FVKW2. 7 digits is missing from the center then what will be the formula. 

IIF(Length([Address]) <14 AND REGEX_Match([Address], '^\u.*'), PadRight([Address], 14 , ' '), IIF(Length([Address]) <14 AND REGEX_Match([Address], '^\d.*'), ' '+ [Address],[Address]))

What will be added in to this formula?

Labels