Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Row Generation Question

alexlyle
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to use Alteryx to generate rows, preferably blank (but I can make them blank if need by) so that the total count of my rows is divisible by 7. Here is my method:

1. use summarize to determine the largest row ID

2. join a formula tool and add 1 to it

3. join generate rows and configure as follows:

alexlyle_0-1589476936603.png

but, this cuts off 1 short of 7. Ex: my max row is 82469. I add 1 to it and run the generate rows tool. I get the following:

alexlyle_1-1589477051815.png

It should stop at 82474 (82474/7 = 11782). How can I fix this? thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Hannah_Lissaman
11 - Bolide

Hi @alexlyle 

The 'Condition Expression' part of the Generate Rows tool needs an expression which evaluates to either True or False. The expression you have entered is not designed to create a True or False result, so will not produce the desired result. 

The clearest way to do this is to add a Formula tool, and to calculate your target number of rows before the Generate Rows tool. I used the expression: [Max Row] + 7 - Mod([Max Row],7). In the Generate Rows tool, you can then use the Condition Expression [RowCount] <= [New Max Row] to tell it when to stop generating. See attached example.

To explain the result you are seeing: False can also be written as 0. When the result of your MOD expression is a number higher than 0, it continues generating rows. When you reach your target number and the MOD is 0, Alteryx reads this as 'False' and stops creating rows. 

alexlyle
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Hannah,

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to get mod to increase incrementally- go 3,4,5,6,7. I'm trying multirow formula with no luck. any suggestions?

alexlyle_0-1589486048801.png

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @alexlyle,

I've got two ways for you to get to that outcome - personally i prefer the first, however the second is the way you could do it with the multi-row formula tool:

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1589491882033.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

Labels