Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Replacing Empty Column with specific word

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi Community,

I had encountered the following issue : Empty cell in certain row and my action plan as below:

1. Identify certain column whether it is empty

2. If empty , replace with the certain words as shown in the example screenshot below.

Jacob_94_0-1615303380456.png

17 REPLIES 17
SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi@ Emil_Kos,

I have different view with you when i try to open the alteryx file using the notepad.

May i know how can we fix it if the notepad show the result as below:

Jacob_94_0-1615316591382.png

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @JosephSerpis ,

Currently i try add in some requirement on the formula below. Instead of just fill it the blanks with XX0, I want to include the features whereby it will combine with the company code as per screenshot below .

Jacob_94_0-1615906900003.png

I also attached the result file wanted for your reference. May i know how can i modify the formula so that the tagging with follow together with the company code.

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @SH_94 I amended the workflow to showcase how to make this change.

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @JosephSerpis ,

Thanks a lot for the prompt response.

I would like to clarify with you on the following:

1. Why do we need to increase the size of invoice to 100? If the size is 5, is it mean that it only can accommodate 5 letter or 5 numbers only?

2.Noted that you use tostring function inside the IF function formula. Could you briefly explain in what circumstance we can use this formula?

Many thanks for your helps.

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I needed to increase to Size to accommodate the company number otherwise the end result would have truncated. The Tostring in the If formula converts the company number which is a Numeric data type into a string so that expression works and doesn't error.  

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @JosephSerpis ,

Thanks a lot for the great sharing.

Can i just clarify with you again on the IF Formula? Is it IF Formula only can read the string data and cannot read the number type data?

Thank you.

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The IF formula is being applied to an existing column in this case Invoice which is a string so the conversion is to ensure the output of that formula remains a similar field type e.g. string.

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @JosephSerpis ,

Thanks a lot again for the great input.

Today i just knew about the applying the right formula. I didn't know that we need to be so careful when applying the formula.

Many thanks and appreciate it.

Labels