Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Regex - How to capture everything but certain characters, repeated once or more

Smiller100
7 - Meteor

Hello Alteryx Community,

I am still fairly new to Alteryx, and Regex by extension, and I have a column that I am trying to parse out where I want to capture everything separately, and it may repeat once or more, while excluding certain characters. I'll include examples below:

01234 · Word Word

01234 · Word Word:01234 · Word Word

01234 · Word Word:01234 · Word Word:01234 · Word word

01234 · Word Word:01234 · Word Word:01234 · Word word:01234 · Word word

(Please note the "·" and ":" in the data)

My current expression is as follows: ((?:[^·:])+)

This expression matches everything separately and repeats itself, but it places all the matches in Group 1 instead of Group 0, which Alteryx does not seem to like. Any ideas on how I can change this so that everything can be in Group 0? Or some help with writing a different expression would be much appreciated.

Edit: I updated the expression to match everything to Group 0: (?:[^·:])+

However, Alteryx returns an error saying there is Nothing to Parse. I'm getting closer but still just need help getting Alteryx to recognize this.

2 REPLIES 2
john_watkins
11 - Bolide

So is the . or : a delimiter for what represents a word or just any space?  It would be good to know which parts of the sample rows you consider a match above.

Smiller100
7 - Meteor

I did end up figuring it out, I just changed the output method from Parse to Tokenize and it captured everything. Thank you though

Labels