Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

RegEx remove special characters

Newbee3
6 - Meteoroid

Hey guys

This is my first post - I hope I am putting this in the right section. So here is my problem, on which I would very much appreciate your help:

I would like to remove a portion in the text depending on the value displayed:

Line itemValue
Net income/(loss)300
Earnings/(loss) per share-200

So ultimately I would need to say the text the following, after having worked on it:

Line itemValue
Net income300
Loss per share-200

The text always says either "net income/(loss) xxx xxx", "Earnings/(loss) xxxx xxx" or "diluted earnings/(loss) xxxx xxx" (x -> any kind of character). The only consistency is /(loss). I am not worried about the conditional part to it (IF c THEN d ELSE....) but more with the RegEX portion to correctly identify "/(loss)" and remove it OR - in case in case the number is negative - to remove the anything before "loss" and to stripp way the slash and the brackets.

4 REPLIES 4
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Edited: This can be done with regex like below. You can also do or with normal text functions like left() and findstring()

DavidP_0-1587546323346.png

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I meant replace function, like this

DavidP_0-1587546590039.png

Newbee3
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you very much @DavidP for your help!

With your solution I am now able to deal with the positive line items. But I seem to not able to understand how to solve the issue on the negative values. Please let me share with you the more detailed picture (all public available data - so no breach there). The texts would need to read:

a) Loss

b) Loss attributable to.....

c) Loss attributable to...

d) Basic loss per share

e) Diluted loss per share

Thank you in advance.

WIP.PNG

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Newbee3 

In a formula tool you could write the following formula

IF [Value]>=0 THEN 

REPLACE([Line Item],'/(loss)','')

ELSE

REGEX_REPLACE([Line Item],'(?:Net )?\S+\/\(loss\)','Loss')

ENDIF

(instead of the filter/regex/union combo)

Labels