Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Reading data from multiple tabs in an excel input file

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

I have a requirement in which I want to bring in the data from 4-5 different tabs in an excel file before performing any scrubbing. The header names are same in all the tabs. How can I accomplish this instead of bringing in input tool for each tab?

23 REPLIES 23
Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

Idyllic_Data_Geek_0-1655922384342.png

Jay-RDC
8 - Asteroid

I agree with @AmalinaH . If it's the same schema then the dynamic input tool should work and you can just filter out the tabs you don't need. You can also try creating a dynamic input macro tool which you can use for both same schema and different schema tabs. 

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

It did not work!

Jay-RDC
8 - Asteroid

Try changing the action to "Change Entire Path". Also, may I know the error message you're getting.

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

'Tab I'm interested in' has a different schema than the first file in the set

Jay-RDC
8 - Asteroid

Alright. Then that means you need a dynamic input tool macro. 

jayrdelacruz18_0-1655923196189.png

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

can you please help me in setting that up?

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Idyllic_Data_Geek!

Yes, we can help you get it setup, but have you tried the CReW Macro: Wildcard XLSX Input? I am a big fan of the tool for this purpose.

Capture.PNG

9 times out of 10 inputting excel sheets works well for me with this tool. If it doesn't work, then it's time to build a custom macro as @Jay-RDC suggests.

Let us know if you try this out!

Thanks,
Deb

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

I don;t have access to this feature in the version of alteryx we have at my employers!

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

CReW macros are free to install.

Download here:

http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

If you want to go the macro route, please share your workflow with some anonymized files. We can help you with the configuration of the macro(s).

Labels