Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Possible help with workflow and stop creating a new workbook

Bbadef
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

I am working on a project and I am having some difficulties. I would be appreciated it if you can give me some suggestion. In general, in this workflow I need to read the data from one document, do some processing, and create another workbook and store it.If the document exits but there is no data, add an N/A under the field(ID).But I fond that Alteryx could not distinguish between count=0 is because the file doesn't exist or there is no data. Is there any way to stop it from creating a workbook when the document doesn't exist?

Thank you and have a good one!

Capture123.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

So what I think I am hearing is that sometimes your workflow produces 0 records and you don't want to create a new file in these occasions. If that is correct, keep reading. If not, please elaborate.

I see that you are still here with me.

Treyson_0-1640895986705.jpeg

This is a gross solution to something that I think should just be a setting in the output tool, but here we go. There is a tool called "Detour" that allows you to totally cut off paths of a workflow based on flicking a switch (pressing a button). The problem is that to use it in 99% of the situations you would want to use it, you have to put it in a batch macro and then send in some logic to flick that switch for you.

I have attached a packaged workbook with one such macro that should demonstrate this happening. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Someone please provide us a better solution.

Treyson Marks
Senior Analytics Engineer
Bbadef
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Treyson ,

Thank you for your help.This solution is helpful but What I mean is sometimes my file does not exist, it will still create a new file.When there is a count tool, it does not seem like Alteryx can identify 0 because of there is no record or there is no file.I still want the output as long as the input file exist!

Thank you and have a good one

SoccerTil
8 - Asteroid

The Directory input widget returns a list of files. You can examine the output to determine if the file you are expecting exits or not.

Bbadef
8 - Asteroid

Hi @SoccerTil ,

Thank you for your reply, I totally understand what you are saying!This workflow is a little bit special, I use a formula tool to specific the output path.The JoinTool and Grand Total Marco will create 2 rows even though the file does not exist.As a result, there will be a new workbook even there is no input file.

Thank you

Labels