Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Please help me to understand the code.

anonymous008_G
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Can someone please help me to understand the below code. The idea of creating this code was if i am running the workflow in mid-quarter then last quarter end date should be populated, For example, if I am running the formula tool in Jan, Feb or Mar 2024 then 12/31/2023 date should get populated in the new column. It was happening as per expectations earlier, but now i see date as 12/31/2024 is getting populated. Can someone please help in this?

Formula :- if DateTimeFormat(DateTimeToday(),'%m') in ('10','11','12') then
datetimetrim(DateTimeAdd(DateTimeToday(),9-tonumber(DateTimeFormat(DateTimeToday(),'%m')),'months'),'lastofmonth') elseif
DateTimeFormat(DateTimeToday(),'%m') in ('07','08','09') then
datetimetrim(DateTimeAdd(DateTimeToday(),6-tonumber(DateTimeFormat(DateTimeToday(),'%m')),'months'),'lastofmonth')
elseif
DateTimeFormat(DateTimeToday(),'%m') in ('04','05','06') then
datetimetrim(DateTimeAdd(DateTimeToday(),3-tonumber(DateTimeFormat(DateTimeToday(),'%m')),'months'),'lastofmonth')
elseif
DateTimeFormat(DateTimeToday(),'%m') in ('01','02','03') then
datetimetrim(DateTimeAdd(DateTimeToday(),12-tonumber(DateTimeFormat(DateTimeToday(),'%m')),'months'),'lastofmonth')
else null()
endif

6 REPLIES 6
binuacs
21 - Polaris

@anonymous008_G 

put the parts of your expression in a formula tool

image.png

anonymous008_G
8 - Asteroid

thanks for the detailed explanation and what about  "if DateTimeFormat(DateTimeToday(),'%m') in ('10','11','12')" this.What is the meaning of this statement?

binuacs
21 - Polaris

The formula DateTimeFormat(DateTimeToday(),'%m') returns the month number, So the above formula checks whether the current month falls on October, November or December 

anonymous008_G
8 - Asteroid

thanks, much appreciated. Now i understood why it is giving 12/31/2024 date as a output data, because current is 3 which subtracting from 12 equals to 9 and adding back this value in current month which Dec-2024. 

Could you please advise how can i modify this statement so that if i run the code in Jan-24, Feb-24 and Mar-24 then Dec-23, If i run in Apr-24, May-24 and Jun-24 then Mar-24, If i run in Jul-24, Aug-24 and Sep-24 then Jun-23 and so on. 

Can we do that?

binuacs
21 - Polaris

@anonymous008_G @If you look at your formula you can see the DateTimeToday() function is being used which always returns current date, if you want to check the formula for a specific date field  you need to mention that field instead of DateTimeToday() in the formula. Suppose that you have field called Date then replace the DateTimeToday() with [Date] field in the formula

anonymous008_G
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, In actual we dont have any date column but i can think creating on which i can use conditional statement. Thanks for the idea

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels