Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Pivot - Convert Rows to Columns

DellChristy
6 - Meteoroid

I have a data set that needs to be pivoted to work with it.  Each person has a separate column in the table and all of the data for the person is in the column.  I need to transform the table so that each person is in a row and the data for the person is in multiple columns in a single row.

If I were doing this in SQL in a database, I know exactly how I would do it either manually or using a Pivot clause.  But, I can't figure out how to do it in Alteryx.  The Transpose tool is giving me multiple records per person, each with a different piece of data.  I've also tried playing with the Cross Tab and Arrange tools, with no success.  I'm obviously overlooking something.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4
markcurry
12 - Quasar

Hi @DellChristy 

I've attached a sample workflow, so hopefully that's along the lines with what you are looking for.  If not, can you post an example of your dataset.   

There is also a Totally Transpose macro that might help too.... https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/Totally-Transpose-like-totally/ba-p/30222

Mark

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @DellChristy 

You just need to do a transpose and then a summarize. See attached for a quick example below:

Dataset before:

pedrodrfaria_0-1613076022584.png

After:

pedrodrfaria_1-1613076030188.png

pedrodrfaria_2-1613076057636.png

Thanks,

Pedro.

DellChristy
6 - Meteoroid

@pedrodrfaria, That would be great if I were trying to summarize the data, but I'm not.  With each row containing a specific piece of data, like name, department, or score, I need to have a table with, for example, name, department, and score columns and a row for each person currently defined by a column.

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @DellChristy 

Is it this you are looking for?

pedrodrfaria_0-1613078905828.png

You can do use the output data to output each person to the specific table if you are also trying to output them separately. 

pedrodrfaria_0-1613079002578.png

Pedro.

Labels