Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Partial Data Match on Same Column

kreynolds
7 - Meteor

Hello,

If someone could give me an idea for the following it would be very appreciated.

I am attempting to analyze a large amount of accounting expense transactions and show variance over periods. Within a given GL account and entity, I'd like to sum specific transactions by their description. My problem is that these descriptions have a lot of variance. So I would like to create a new column that will group the related transactions. My biggest issue arrises from the amount of variance with these descriptions. I believe a fuzzy match may do the trick but I haven't gotten lucky while messing around with the tool. Please see the example below. 

Any ideas??

DescriptionGoal
01/22 Electricity ExpenseElectric Expense
02/22 Electricity ExpenseElectric Expense
03/22 Electricity ExpenseElectric Expense
09/20 Window WashingWindow Washing
10/20 Window WashingWindow Washing
UtilitiesUtilities

3 REPLIES 3
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @kreynolds,

I think this is quite a complex problem for the simple example you gave a data Cleaning tool works just fine. After that I would recommend Regex or even perhaps the text mining tools depending on how difficult your issue is. I've attached the most basic approach: 

IraWatt_0-1651612744547.png

If you want any clarification make sure to ask :) 

HTH,

Ira 

kreynolds
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the response. Can you actually attach the flow so I can take a look? I see you messed with Fuzzy Match.

Data cleanse won't work because I need this to work for every description, some involving numbers. 

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@kreynolds  OOoops sorry attached it now 

Labels