Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output to multiple files

RichD
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I am running into an error while trying to output to several files with the same structure to multiple excel templates.

I have about 150 manager reports that were all created from the same template.  I then have a workflow designed to output the individual records to the corresponding file based on the file name and the appropriate range. FileName = <Directory>+[FileName]+".xlsx|||Sheet1$B10:P50" .  My output tool is configured to "Change Entire File Path" and pointed at the FileName Field.  I overwrite the sheet/range and preserve the formatting.  

When I run the workflow, the first report gets populated, but it doesn't look like any others do, and I get an error "encountered existing data beyond the specified range."   I don't know why I get this error, because all the files are created off the same template, and the workflow runs the same data for all the managers.  And the first report appears to populate correctly.

Any thoughts why I might get that error?  And how can I fix it?

3 REPLIES 3
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@RichD 

Is it the exact same data for each of the managers? Could you check before the output whether there's same number of rows for each file?

RichD
7 - Meteor

Oh, i did think about the number of rows.  I will check.  I thought i made the range large enough, but that could be the case.  Thank you for point that out.  I will see what i find out and repy.

RichD
7 - Meteor

My response was supposed to say "Didn't think about that".  You were correct; the company re-structured and one manager got a team that was slightly bigger (3 records) than what I anticipated the maximum team size.  That manager happens to be the second report in the list.  So, to me it felt systematic, not coincidental.  Once I adjusted the range for all the reports, everything ran fine.

Thank you for your insight!

Labels