Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output of Summarize Tool Using Group By

mkeiffer
9 - Comet
9 - Comet

Hi there,

I am hoping someone can answer this question for me and maybe even provide some example workflows to illustrate.  

When I use the Summarize Tool and I select a field to Group By, what will be the order of the output of the Summarize tool (without using a Sort Tool)?  Will the order be random?  Or will it be in ascending order, based on the unique values found in the field?

My expectation would be the output would be in ascending order, but I was wondering if someone can confirm this.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

3 REPLIES 3
Raj
16 - Nebula

In Alteryx Designer, when you use the Summarize tool and select a field to Group By, the output order of the Summarize tool is not guaranteed to be in any specific order unless you explicitly use a Sort tool.

By default, the Summarize tool does not impose any particular order on the output. It will process the data based on the grouping you specified, but the order of the groups in the output may not follow any specific pattern. The groups may appear in the order they were encountered during processing, which can be arbitrary and may not correspond to the unique values found in the field.

mkeiffer
9 - Comet
9 - Comet

@Raj  Okay this makes sense but I was in a class today where I was using the same workflow, the same data and the Summarize tool with the Group By option as the instructor. However, the order of the output of the Summary tool on my computer was different than the instructor’s. 

I am trying to determine why my output was different. 

Raj
16 - Nebula

Need to check in that case. because there is no fixed rule to it.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels