Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output in same file from two models breaks pivot

Kdeshmukh
7 - Meteor

Hi , 

I am using two alteryx models, which give output in same excel file, in different sheets. These models are for yearly data, one is for 2019 and another for 2018.

The output (Excel) file also has pivots based on output from 2019 data (Model).

The pivots breaks (pasted values) whenever second model is ran and output sheets are created in it.

While opening the file i get an error " Error, multiple attempts to open the file"

Currently as a way out i am getting 2018 data in separate excel file and then moving those sheets in the final file.

If anyone can help that will be great!!!!

Thanks and Regards 

11 REPLIES 11
Kucsi
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Can you attach a dummy excel? 

I had a quite similar process, where all i need is to refresh the pivot table in the output file (I do it with vba script).

Waiting for the file 🙂

Thanks,

Kucsi

Kdeshmukh
7 - Meteor

Hi Kucsi,

Please find the attached dummy excel, the tab 'Back-up working' has all the pivots, which are based on tab 'Mat Grp Data_2019_Backup' (alteryx output) 

Rest all tabs are alteryx output, '2019' data from one model and '2018' from another model.

So, the problem i am facing is , if i ran 2019 alteryx model first, pivots are intact, But after that i have to run 2018 model for that year's data, which then breaks the pivot, even though it is based on 2019 data.

Thank you!

Regards,

Ketki

Kucsi
8 - Asteroid

Do you use overwrite sheet drop or create new sheet, when you write out the 2018's data? 

Do you get any excel error when open it first, like we found an issue, do you want to repair? This can to effect the pivot table. 

I've jus tested your dummy, and overwrite the 2018 sheet and nothing happend with the pivot. 

Try to use a new, blank template only with the pivot in it and write all output into it.

I will test it more today, see if i can reproduce your issue.

Thanks,

Kucsi

Kdeshmukh
7 - Meteor

Hi Kucsi,

I do use overwrite sheet drop option when i take output from both the models.

Yes, i do get an error which you mentioned in excel. Once the excel file is repaired, pivot break.

so, if just one sheet 2018 or 2019  is overwritten then pivot don't break but,  if both the sheets are overwritten then the pivot breaks. 

Thanks for all the help.

Regards,

Ketki

Kucsi
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

try to use a blank excel. It is strange, but not an alteryx problem, but an excel. Make a new template and write into it. Do you have one workflow for the two dataset or do you write it separetly? If you do it in one workflow add a parallel block until done tool to your workflow. I can attach a sample on afternoon.

Thanks,

Kucsi

Kdeshmukh
7 - Meteor

Hi ,

I will try using new excel file, lets see if that works. 

I have two separate workflow as data is to huge. So i cannot use parallel block.

Regards,

Ketki

Kucsi
8 - Asteroid

Keep me posted 🙂

Kdeshmukh
7 - Meteor

Hi Kucsi,

I am back with bad news, i tried both the options :

1. Merging both the models

2. Start with Fresh  excel file

Till one point i was getting the file with all the pivots and graph, and then suddenly i started getting the same excel error, with broken pivots.

If i recreate 2-3 pivots then i don't get that error. I am clueless what is triggering such error in excel

Regards,

Ketki

Kucsi
8 - Asteroid

That's not so cool 😞 can you upload the workflow? I want to try it, see if i can get the same issue as you.

Labels