Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Nested If Then Else Statement

msawyer
5 - Atom

Is it possible to create an If Then Else statement that allows for more than three conditions?  For example, I need to create an If Then Else statement that looks at a number and determines if it falls in the following buckets; late, on-time, within 30 days, between 31 and 60 days, between 61 and 90 days, and greater than 90 days.

Thanks!!

13 REPLIES 13
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora
Sure - just put the entire nested IF wherever needed, including its own ENDIF.... example: IF c THEN t ELSE (IF c THEN t ELSE f ENDIF) ENDIF.

The parnthese aren't needed either - just there for clarification. Hope that helps!
dataMack
12 - Quasar

You should also check out the tile tool for quickly creating custom range bands like that.  Assuming you have (or used a formula to create) a field that is numeric (ex. days late), then in the tile tool, you can pick 'Manual' for the tile method then just type your cutoffs.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

If arg1 then result1 elseif

arg2 then result2 elseif

arg3 then result3 else

endif

with dates you can use <= as once 30 days is used in an argument , when you check for 60 days the result must be between 30 and 60. 

Just a thought for you. 

Thanks,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
RJS
7 - Meteor

Hello there!

Good topic

I have a statement that will create a column of day ranges but it will only create 2 ranges for some reason.

It seems to like only the  "Over 180" and the "0-30"  I have several others that just wont compute out.

Also the 2 groupings are not lining up with the days they are supposed to be lined up with

The [Days Open] field is the result of 2 diff dates calculated in 'days'

If [Days Open] >= '180' THEN "Over 180" elseif  [Days Open] >= '90' THEN "90-180" elseif  [Days Open] >= '60'  THEN "60-90" elseif  [Days Open] >= '40'  THEN "40-60" elseif  [Days Open] >= '30' THEN "30-40" elseif  [Days Open] >= '0' THEN "0-30" Else [Days Open] ENDIF 

Any help would be extremely appreciated!

thomas_vdb
7 - Meteor

You don't need single quotes around your conditions. Doing so interprets you difference of date as a number, and then your nested IF THEN ELSEIF statement is working

Capture2.PNG

RJS
7 - Meteor

Perfect and Thank you!

anup_joseph1989
5 - Atom

I have a CSV file with column PDPDESC which has values I (stands for Inconsistent), S( stands for Satisfactory) and L (Leading Performance). Below was a formula I added to my existing workflow to include this particular metric:-

IF [PDPDESC]="I" THEN "INCONSISTENT PERFORMANCE" ELSE(IF [PDPDESC]="S" THEN "SATISFACTORY PERFORMANCE" ELSE (IF [PDPDESC]="L" THEN "LEADING PERFORMANCE" ELSE "N/A" ENDIF) ENDIF

It still gives me Parse Error when I try IF c THEN t ELSEIF c2 THEN t2 ELSE f ENDIF. Then tried using the above formula but gives me "Unmatched ( " error.

Need some help on this

thomas_vdb
7 - Meteor

You have 3 IF but only 2 ENDIF
You opened 2 (, but only closed one;

Try indenting your code. You'll see not all is closed :)

IF [PDPDESC]="I"
THEN "INCONSISTENT PERFORMANCE"
ELSE(
               IF [PDPDESC]="S"
               THEN "SATISFACTORY PERFORMANCE"
               ELSE (
                           IF [PDPDESC]="L"
                           THEN "LEADING PERFORMANCE"
                           ELSE "N/A"
                           ENDIF)
               ENDIF

With this in mind you can complete your code - one ) and one ENDIF missing