Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Need help to change the values in a matrix

Suvasini
7 - Meteor

Hi, I have a matrix similar to the table posted below. The first column are my origin stations and the first row is my destination stations. So while going from station A to B - there were 90 people. When I travel from station A to A, from B to B - it should be 0 and I was able to specify that. There is a 0 diagonal. Due to a requirement, all the numbers below the diagonal need to be zero too. So from station B to A, instead of 38 it should be 0 and likewise for all the cells below the diagonal. How can I do that?

ABCDE
A090301755
B380981553
C527401713
D1005829078
E788469280
5 REPLIES 5
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Suvasini 

Would something like this work?

DavidP_0-1610006245757.png

Suvasini
7 - Meteor

Hi @DavidP (16 - Nebula)

Thank you for the quick response. Appreciate it, I tried the solution you sent, but the stations are headers itself so there is no F1,F2,F3 etc in my workflow. Also when there is a 0 value above the diagonal it doesn't seem to work as it makes all values below it zero. Would request your help again. I have attached a workflow with the data set close to what I'm working with. The idea remains the same that below the A-A, B-B diagonal (which is already 0), cells below it have to be zero too.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Suvasini 

Let me know if this works for you and I can explain a little more of my methodology.

DavidP_0-1610012655209.png

Suvasini
7 - Meteor

Yes, this was the output needed. Thanks alot. Kindly explain the methdology.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Excellent!

For my plan to work, it's important to preserve the row and column order, so I insert a Record ID and then use that to rename the columns with their relevant number. I can then use the Transpose tool to get all the values in a single column. I picked an arbitrary number of 0.000001 to assign the diagonal where Row ID = Column ID (or Origin = Original Column Name)

Using a sort tool, I can identify the rows below the diagonal for each column and then also set their value to 0.000001 with the multi-row formula tool (note that I use the group by functionality here)

Now I can re-sort the transposed rows before using the CrossTab tool to flip the data back to the original format.

Finally, I can restore the original column names with a Dynamic Rename tool.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Labels