Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple input files into a single output file?

jaypee1217
7 - Meteor

I have an input file that goes through my workflow and spits out a final output file with 1 sheet.  I want to then insert my original input file as a 2nd sheet in the final output file.

11 REPLIES 11
Amilley
8 - Asteroid

Yes - you can do this, use the 'block until done tool' to ensure that you don't have a conflict, and then make sure you select the same file, and name the sheets separately. This can be done and is not too bad.

Robin_McIntosh
11 - Bolide

@jaypee1217 - Here's an example using the Block Until Done tool @Amilley mentions.

Robin_McIntosh_0-1677887863700.png

jaypee1217
7 - Meteor

thank you both very much. The block tool worked perfectly. 

Amilley
8 - Asteroid

@jaypee1217 glad it worked! and @Robin_McIntosh great simple example to illustrate (thank you!).

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

@Amilley or @Robin_McIntosh how would you go about doing this for 3 sheets in the same xlsx?  I have an input file that I join to some other data.  I would like to create an xlsx with the original data as one sheet, the Left for another sheet and the Join as the last sheet.

BonusCup_0-1678289116426.png

jaypee1217
7 - Meteor

in your example, make sure your output file has 3 sheets in it. One sheet for each input. 

Amilley
8 - Asteroid

@BonusCup  Something like the below should work. Also you could even do 4 or 5 or 'n' # of sheets - sometimes you have to get creative w/ joins to string the workflow together. That said, the 3 sheets should be straight forward.

Amilley_0-1678301412997.png

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

@Amilley thanks so much.  Just to make sure, for the bottom output, I added browses to #1 and #2 and moved the write output to #3.  Not sure if it made a difference but I wanted to make sure the other 2 sheets wrote first.  Your solution worked great.

haraldharders
9 - Comet

Hi all,

I've been using something like this:

2023-10-17 21_04_54-Alteryx Designer x64 - New Workflow2.jpg

In principle, this works in most cases but not always. Especially when one of the first two worksheets is quite big and I am saving on a network drive, I still frequently get the error

"Error: Output Data (1267): Unable to open file for write: [...] - Can't open file: [...]: Der Prozess kann nicht auf die Datei zugreifen, da sie von einem anderen Prozess verwendet wird. (32)" (which means cannot access because the file is being used by a different process).

This happens both with and without AMP.

I guess the operating system needs some time to really close the file after Alteryx believes it is ready with writing. I have even tried with some waiting times before writing sheets 2 and 3.

Has anybody of you had the same experience and maybe a solution?

Would this be worth a feature request that a workflow should ensure that there are no file conflicts within the same workflow. Alteryx core engine could take care that it does not try to write to a file which itself is currently already writing... What do you think?

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels