Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Move Data from static columns to a Dynamically created column.

Bwilliams
6 - Meteoroid

Hi

I need help in resolving this issue, that looks straightforward enough. I have the below table and I want to move the 'value' column and 'New Field' column exactly the way they are into 'Forecast April 2023 Flash' and 'April 2003 Actual' respectively. however, because the columns with the month name are created dynamically it names will change every month or every time there is a different data. how can the data be moved without specifically selecting the columns.

Bwilliams_0-1686567030227.png

4 REPLIES 4
geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@Bwilliams 

Dynamic Select to select the fields through a formula.
If you pass more information like if there are values ??in the other columns for which we choose which will be the best tool to replace the columns you want dynamically.

npariso
10 - Fireball

Hi @Bwilliams you can use a dynamic rename tool to rename fields containing a specific string. Because those renames will remove the month, you can then use a select tool normally since they will always have the same name.

See below for the dynamic rename formula. Make sure you select all fields for the dynamic rename.

npariso_0-1686574419764.png

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@Bwilliams hi, I've attached a workflow for you to test:

BS_THE_ANALYST_0-1686575660970.png

It basically replaces the 3rd and 4th column names with [3] and [4]. It then moves the values from [1] -> [3] and [2] -> [4]. Then renames [3], [4] back to what they originally were. 

All the best,
BS

Bwilliams
6 - Meteoroid

@BS_THE_ANALYST

Thanks for the solution. Got a lot of valuable ideas from the other contributors but your solution best solves the issues. 

Labels