Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Matching Gate Time Stamp Records

Bobbins
8 - Asteroid

Good Morning All,

Taking gate data, I am trying to work out how long individuals spend on site (Preferably in a single go so happy to record multiple times on site for the same day/shift. Useful things to know:

• Over 10,000 gate movements a day (so person does not enter / leave site on the next row)
  • May work a night shift or day shift and may flip between them
  • Multiple different gates
  • Person may exit site and not return for 20 days
  • Person may enter and exit site multiple times in a day

My data format is shown as the following:

Record IDNameGateWork DateWork SiteIN/OUTURN
50Matt SmithAlpha10/07/202221:35:01IN20548636
 Some time much later........ ......  ..... ......... .....
2500Matt SmithBeta11/07/202205:35:26OUT20548636

How would you do this given information and useful things to know? I was hoping to achieve something similar to:

NameGate InGate OutDate/Time Stamp InDate/Time Stamp OutHH:MMURN
Matt SmithAlphaBeta10/07/2022 21:35:0111/07/2022 05:53:2608:0020548636

I was thinking that i could create time/date stamp, organize by this and then match via URN but its how to match to next timestamp for that URN that causing my brainache this morning

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hello @Bobbins, would it be possible for you to provide a sample dataset?

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @Bobbins, since there is not much data so I tried to create something from your inputs.

grazitti_sapna_0-1657528532118.png

Give this a try and let us know if it works for you?

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

HI @Bobbins how's this for a solution:

OllieClarke_1-1657528737357.png

I've grouped each session per person based on IN/OUT, If you want total time worked per person, then you can get that from the offshoot at the end:

OllieClarke_2-1657528764086.png

Hope that helps,

Ollie

Bobbins
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

Apologies, should have included more data. @grazitti_sapna  so now attached

@OllieClarke  That almost works but when i try it with the dummy data it falls apart on some rows?

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@Bobbins, is this what you are looking for?

grazitti_sapna_0-1657530815361.png

I hope this helps!

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hey @Bobbins 

the reason a couple of rows don't work properly is that there are instances where someone has checked in, but not out (or vice versa)

OllieClarke_0-1657531268530.png

OllieClarke_1-1657531312428.png

Will that be possible in your actual data set?

Bobbins
8 - Asteroid

@grazitti_sapna  Almost perfect, although there is the problem that @OllieClarke correctly picks up on. So yes, this is real time/dates just name and numbers changed. It occurs because most likely this individual has incorrectly exited through a turnstile (IE some of them are large swing gates and although you should correctly do it one at a time, obviously some people dont!)

In addition, because we will look at this data in a non continous snapshot kind thing, some people will be seen as leaving or exiting without the other occurring. Not sure how to count this out really and hence I am not sure how to solve this, the below highlights the problem using @grazitti_sapna  answer.

Bobbins_0-1657531848118.png

I dont think there is a suitable answer, if not, will mark the above as the correct answer. Thank you

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@Bobbins, thanks for notifying I have made the changes and please take a look if this workflow solves your purpose.

grazitti_sapna_0-1657533508877.png

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
Labels