Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Manage Data Connections? No test button

nmosley
7 - Meteor

I'm migrating to a new machine which means I will need to reconfigure the database connections.  I navigated to Options > Advanced Options > Manage Data Connections > Quick Connect to enter the server database and credentials.  However, it appears this window has been changed since I set up connections on the old machine.  I name the connection, enter the server, use windows authentication...  but Default Database is blank with a message saying "Click Test to populate list with available databases..."  However, the Test button appears to have been removed. lol what? This had previously been right above the Default Database drop down.   I cannot seem to find a way for Alteryx to initiate the authentication to load the available databases.  Manually entering the name of a database does not appear to work either.  The Help button on that window is linked to a dead web page.  Backing out a layer and clicking the Edit Pencil does nothing.  Clicking search network for known SQL Server hosts does nothing.

I would think this is a commonly used feature of Alteryx so I would assume the error is on my side rather than with the software.  What am I missing?  I seem to be able to connect via ODBC Admin but the Quick Connect feature appears to no longer work?  Anyone else experiencing something similar.

5 REPLIES 5
digitalmemo
8 - Asteroid

@nmosley does your issue happen to be similar in this thread from another discussion?

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Difficulty-connecting-to-DB-with-Input...

nmosley
7 - Meteor

Yes it is the same issue.  I had submitted a ticket to the help desk at the same time as making this post.   In their own words "This is a defect with a high priority."  Their proposed solution is to adjust the configuration to use ODBC DNS rather than the "alias" that is created from quick connect.

Williamkork
6 - Meteoroid

Have you managed to reconfigure the database connections? At the beginning of this year, alteryx.com lost half of its b2b data providers. They've restored the old versions, but bugs might appear during the usage. For instance, the test button didn't work for all users, especially for those who upgraded to Alteryx 2021.2.
I hope, in the future, they will deal with these bugs more seriously.

Sentic
5 - Atom

Is this still a but or should it be fixed by now? I have exactly the same issue: in the pull-down it mentiones to click the test-button...which isnt there. I also tried to update the data connections via Manage Data Connections. However that only allows me to see the connection string and not to actually edit it (although there is an edit option)

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Sentic 

You are only able to modify the password as of now.

I would recommend creating system DSNs within the ODBC Data Source Admin window (at the windows level).

If you want to modify the data connections, I would recommend creating a new database connection within the Manage data connection tab.

Hope this helps.

Labels