Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Makro for grouping records and looping one by one to update an API

dshay248
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have a dataset with Purchase Orders that need to update the quantity in an API. 

The API can only accept one record at a time, and the performance deteriorates the more records are selected at a given time.  So my thinking is to create a grouping macro that will split the records into groups of five and then loop one by one through the records in the group with a macro.  then move on to the next group and so on.  I am fine with the two individual processes as macros, but how do you combine them to work as a whole.  E.g. 26 line items grouped into 20 Purchase orders as per the attached dataset, group into 4 groups of 5 PO's and then update the PO's individually into the API for the group.  the API update is not a challenge, just the macro to decide what gets updated when.

Any help will be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@dshay248 

I am not sure I understand the group part?

Can we just use a batch macro send the data one after another, meaning the API operation will be inside the macro.

dshay248
7 - Meteor

HI,

Yes I think that is the idea to include the API update in the macro.  The grouping is to select only a previously determined number of records in a batch at a time, so if there are 20 records then select 4 groups of 5 records each,  So update :

Group 1 : Iteration 0            PO 10000001   Iteration 0

10000002   Iteration 1

10000003   Iteration 2

10000004   Iteration 3

10000005   Iteration 4

Group 2 : Iteration 1           PO 10000006   Iteration 0

10000007   Iteration 1

10000008   Iteration 2

10000009   Iteration 3

10000010   Iteration 4

And so forth.  Hope it makes better sense now.

Labels