Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Make a string type appear as a monetary number without changing datatype

Gina2021
8 - Asteroid

Hello Community!

This is my first time uploading a workflow question; so please lmk if I could do it better.

Example: column YTD contains string values of 1982577, 886172, 11% that I'm trying to make appear as $1,982,577, $886,172, 11%.  I'll need to convert columns 1-11 like this as well.

I've been trying out combinations of Right() and RegEx, but need to learn these skills.  Any advice?

Gina2021_0-1619028663701.png

Thanks so much for your help!

Gina

5 REPLIES 5
L_T
8 - Asteroid

Hi Gina,

could you please have a look at the attached workflow?

L_T_0-1619030197629.png

Gina2021
8 - Asteroid

Thanks so much, @L_T ! It is soooo close! I've tried playing with it to keep the [Null] rows [Null] instead of changing them to $0, but just made it worse.  Do you have any tweak ideas by chance? Thanks again for your help!

L_T
8 - Asteroid

@Gina2021,

I have slightly modified the formula in the attached - let me know if this works!

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Gina2021,

The issue with the Nulls is your sample data has the null cells as text [NULL] and are not truly null values.  If this is consistent with your actual data set, you can update the Multi-Field tool formula to:

IF IsNull([_CurrentField_]) OR [_CurrentField_] = "[Null]" THEN "" ELSEIF Contains(ToString([_CurrentField_]),"%") THEN [_CurrentField_] ELSE "$"+ToString(ToNumber([_CurrentField_]),0,1) ENDIF

Gina2021
8 - Asteroid

Thank you tons for the two quick replies @L_T !!! This absolutely works in the example workflow, but when I pull the tool over to my main workflow, I get the $0 in the nulls row.  Thanks tons; you made more sense of this than I did in 4hrs of spinning down a rabbit hole.  SOOO much appreciated!

@T_Willins modification to @L_T answer worked when I pulled over to my main workflow.  Thanks so much for calling out the hardcoded "[Null]" data in my rows! That made all the difference!

Labels