Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Macro vs Analytical App

janebugai
5 - Atom
Hello,

I am a new Alteryx User and was hoping someone can clarify a question below.

What is the difference between Macro and Analytical App and how to distinguish between those two?
4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
A macro is a set of tools configured for re-use within another Alteryx workflow. An analytic app can stand on its own and be deployed to the server for consumption without an Alteryx workflow.

Cheers,

Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
towong
7 - Meteor

Are we able to run an Analytic app without Alteryx Designer?

JessieC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @towong,

With Alteryx Server, users can login to a web-based GUI and run an analytic app without Designer. Hence, Server allows workflows to be shared with non-Designer users. However, a prerequisite of Server is to have at least 1 Designer license to develop the analytic apps.

towong
7 - Meteor

Thank you JessieC. Another question, if I upload an Analytic App to the Server and it has a File Browse Tool that will prompt the user to select an Excel file. Does it mean that when the file is selected, the file itself will be uploaded to server to be processed by the Alteryx Workflow? And if this Alteryx Workflow outputs a few Excel files (I specify the folders that the output files will go to), how does the server knows where these output files will be created?

Labels