Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Macro to Bypass if field not present

GavinAttard
11 - Bolide

Hi Everyone

I have a problem which is driving me nuts to solve. 

I have a process that throws up an error when the data source does not contain a certain field. 

I put that process in a batch macro, and set up a bypass detour. The detour is set to switch on (i.e. bypass) when the incoming condition is set to "0".

I then do a field info on the stream, filter for the value i am looking for and set "0" or "1" accordingly. Basically, it should only bypass when the field is missing. 

However i don't seem to be able to get it to work. My assumption is that it would go through the process until the condition to detour is met... 

Any help appreciated... i'm tearing my hair out on this one... 

Workflow attached with macro inside + input files for both conditions. 

Alteryx Everything, Leave no one behind.
1 REPLY 1
GavinAttard
11 - Bolide

Hi Folks

Quick update. After a nicotine hit and a sanity check, i got it to work. 

The detour was working all along, what was bothering me was that the process was not working as expected spitting out only 1 record. I assumed this was due to the detour changing it's status for each record. In fact, it was due to the Macro input tool, where you have to set a dummy input field then the field i was grouping on in thecross tab changed name...Hence it was the cross tab that was not grouping, and only spitting out one record. 

Lessons learned;

1) Really need to understand the macro input tool and why we need to set input fields when these could be dynamic

2) Smoking breaks help

3) Assumption is the mother of all.... Setup browsers along each key stage to understand what is going on... (That's how i figured the data i was grouping on was in the incorrect field)... 

Alteryx Everything, Leave no one behind.
Labels