Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Lookup a value in another column

RichW123
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I wish to check whether a string in one column is present in another column. I've got a field titled "Home Matrix Organization Code" which I wish to check if the value exists in a separate column titled "Employee ID". If the value is present, I'd like to keep that value there and if it's not I'd like it to return null or empty.

I've attached dummy data in the attached file and the expected output in the adjacent columns

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @RichW123 

You can use the find replace tool to do this:

FOUND.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @RichW123, here's one option I can think of where we use the data as a lookup for itself with the Find Replace tool. We basically check for the presence of the Employee ID in the Home Matrix Organisation Code field. If matches are found, it appends the Home Matrix Organisation Code next to it and nulls cells if not. This field with the part-populated, part-null records becomes our new Home Matrix Organisation Code field. Example attached for you to look over! Note: for the FR tool I had to temporarily make the fields strings, which I switched back in the final step.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels