Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Looking to Create Batch Macro to Change File Extension

kkkim
8 - Asteroid

Hello Alteryx Experts!

I am connecting to directory to pull dynamin number of files per day and change the extension type from .eml to .txt.

Looking to create a batch macro to output .eml files as .txt files --> and then input the txt files for the process.

Can you help set this one up correctly?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

4 REPLIES 4
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I'm not familiar with the .eml file type. Google says it's related to emails. Are you able to open/read this file in Alteryx on its own? Can you attach an example .eml file here for us to test?

SPetrie
13 - Pulsar

Are you just needing the raw file? You can import the .eml file directly and then do your changes on it and save it as .txt in the process.

Use a dynamic input tool and give it one of the .eml files as an example.

Select all files for them to show up

SPetrie_0-1681325894392.png

Then set it up like a csv that is not delineated.

SPetrie_1-1681325950673.png

Feed it the full path from a directory tool that has the .eml files you want.

SPetrie_2-1681326047478.png

A formula tool to change the extension and then an output tool to create your .txt versions.

You can do whatever other transformations on the file you need after that since they are already loaded into the workflow.

SPetrie_3-1681326526244.png

omkarshinde
8 - Asteroid

@SPetrie  I am trying to do similar file conversion of xls to xlsx however i am getting 1 KB xlsx files generated which cant be opened in output please help

jdminton
12 - Quasar

Yes, no need to change the extension. @SPetrie has the way to bring the data in directly. If you are having trouble finding the file, you need to change the file type to "all files". 

Snag_6f6e3673.png

@omkarshinde , you can't just change the extension on Excel files. You can use input data to bring into Alteryx and output data to send to .xlsx though.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels