Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Logistic Regression : quantitative / qualitative predictor variables and field type

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello all,

I'm working on a very simple logistic regression workflow but I'm a beginner here and I must say the help isn't that simple.

Data is like this

Order_IdCountryCountry_idCategoryCategory_idAmountDiscountAt_Risk
1Germany1Bike1110001
2France2Bike1220000
3Germany1Clothes23000
4Spain3Bike112900,20
5France2Bike1175000
6Germany1Bike121000,31
7Spain3Accessories312500
8Portugal4Bike1180000

My target variable is At_Risk.

The first thing I have noticed is that you can't use a numeric variable as a target variable, I don't know why and how that makes sense. Only string variables are proposed in the dropdown menu.

But ok.

Then, I have a few categorical variable (like Country or Category) and also something more quantitative (amount). It seems that I don't have to distinguish it? Also, I can use both strings and numbers in that ? The only thing I have to avoid is almost duplicate variable like Country and Country_id.

Am I right?

is there something I miss ? I wonder if I should make categories of amount instead of having the exact amount.

Thanks for your help.

Simon

1 REPLY 1
aatalai
14 - Magnetar

@simonaubert_bd to respond to your first statement, re-target variable being only a string. Logistic regression is for classification (and how it is set up in most cases and in alteryx can only have 2 outcomes, a yes/no, true/false,0/1) hence why the target variable needs to be a string rather than numerical. 

You wouldn't want variables that represent the same information for example country and country id as you suggested.

If you want an exact amount can I suggest  numerical model, e.g. Liner regression, Random forrest, DT.

Labels