Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Let the user update a specific value in a column where the column is chosen by the user

ZeeshaanH
7 - Meteor

Hello everyone,

My colleague and I are working on building an application for users in the Marketing Team to update their marketing events data. 

Currently they have a flat file with columns such as Marketing Activity, Cost, Channel etc. and rows representing marketing activities.

We want them to use the app to select an activity, select a specific field and then update that field.

We have 2 parts of the chained app built already which allows them to

1. Pick a marketing activity (select the right row)
  2. Select the field to update (select the right column)

But we are struggling with step 3, to update the selected field. Currently we can just write a new field but not write into the selected field.

See below snipping.

Is there a way to directly write into the selected field?

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
JoBen
11 - Bolide

Hi @ZeeshaanH, can you show how your action tool is configured?

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hey @ZeeshaanH 

I think you could do this all in one workflow, depending on how you have everything set up. See the attached sample app that I put together. I first get all of the values in the activity field to use in one of the drop downs. The other drop down is populated with the field names from your input file. The user chooses one from each drop down and fills in the text box with their update value. The Multi-Field Formula tool will take the user's selected values and only update the record in the chosen field on the chosen row with the update value in the text box. Note the Multi-Field Formula is getting the values from the drop downs using workflow constants. Check it out and see if this helps!

Capture.PNG

ZeeshaanH
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am unable to open the workflow as it says failure to import as it was created by a more recent version of Alteryx.

I am currently using Alteryx 11.5

Thanks

Zeeshaan

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Try this one.

CiaranA
10 - Fireball

I'm working with Zeeshaan on this, I can open it in new version fine. 

Thanks for your help. 

Think this should work perfectly, thanks. 

ZeeshaanH
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I have edited the workflow to suit what I am trying to do, the user will choose an activity name and a field to update; the activities table output is inserted in the drop down 'Please Choose Activity Name' 

The user will choose an activity name and the field to update, they will than enter text into the update text field; however, when text is entered and in the output file, the field is still not updated. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Alteryx Workflow.PNG

Alteryx Expression.PNG

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@ZeeshaanH  Don't forget the first % in 

"%Question.Update%"

You need the % just after the first set of quotation marks and just before the last set. 

ZeeshaanH
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I have done that and there is still an issue, I think there is an issue in the multi field formula:

Where previously you wrote 'Marketing Activity', I have changed that to fit my workflow to 'Activity Name', I am unsure as to the next bit where the equals operator is, is there an error in the formula?

Thanks!

Alteryx Expression.PNG

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@ZeeshaanH 

When you try to run this, are you just running it in designer or running it as an app and actually selecting using the drop downs? 

If you could, export your workflow and attach that so I can download the whole thing and see if I can get it to run on my computer.

Labels